Tuesday, November 11, 2014

InstaPROBLEMS.

We live in a world where social media has replaced all kinds of ACTUAL relationships.  Instagram is the way we preview our competition, Facebook is where we connect with long lost friends and family, Twitter is where we get to vent 24/7 and it is socially acceptable, and Snapchat is a constant update about our lives, because we all know that EVERYONE needs to know that I ate mac & cheese for dinner & everyone needs to know that some random Asian kid from California, whom I have never met, is skateboarding.  We live in a world where we seek acceptance from these virtual worlds, including in our relationships.

I read something somewhere that said:

"I guess our parents stayed together simply because they didn't have 7000 other people following them or liking their pictures at their disposal when their marriage or relationship got hard.  Nowadays when our relationships hit the rocks, we can just log in and get high off this false sense of security and appreciation.  We value our worth based on comments and inbox messages filled with colorful words that have NO depth.  Meanwhile, the person who loves you when there is NO filter on your face becomes an option and the rest of the world who just sees your representation becomes your priority.  Don't lose what is real chasing behind what only APPEARS to be."

I see this on a daily basis, including in my own life.  Earlier today, I was sitting in class and these girls were arguing about how many followers they have on Instagram.  I sat there thinking, "But are you making money off of how many followers you have?  How is increasing your number of followers helping you PROGRESS in this life?"  

I think of how funny it is.  This concept of feeling loved and appreciated based on how many "likes" you get on a picture.  I can testify, that for some reason, there is a satisfying feeling that comes from how many likes I get on a picture, and HOW SAD IS THAT? How sad is it that my self worth is some what based off of how the world sees me, how perfect STRANGERS see me, and it's not even really ME because filters make me look 83420984923x better.  It's a false sense of love and acceptance, and it's sad. 

Take it one step further, and think about all the problems that social media causes in marriages and romantic relationships.  I can tell you now, that social media has been the cause of death for my romantic life.  Hahahahaha.  & I can tell you right now that it has killed two of rommates relationships.  Earlier in the semester, I came home to a yelling match between one of my roommates and her boyfriend.  He said, "If you don't talk to your ex anymore, why is he your bestfriend on SnapChat?"  & They had been dating for 9 months, and because of SnapChat, they are no longer together.  

I feel as though social media can be a blessing AND a curse.  Yeah, it's awesome to see how people from middle school turned out, but then we begin to live in this virtual world where we forget about living in THIS one.    Just think about it.   I loved this video, and I think it really tied everything together for me. 

[Video credits go to Eitakina Fifita.  She was the one who showed it to me.  Love youuuuuuu Eita!]


Til you read again
-me[:

4 comments:

  1. where's the video? I would very much like to watch it pls. I like this blog post Mary. it's insightful & could trigger a strong classroom discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally true :) -nia

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had to write this in my journal today.
    i love you. and i miss you. annnnnnnnd....you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had to write this in my journal today.
    i love you. and i miss you. annnnnnnnd....you know the rest.

    ReplyDelete